Farms Shares are a type of “Community Supported Agriculture” or CSA — and they are an increasingly popular way for thoughtful and health-conscious individuals to buy local, in-season food direct from a local farmer.
Here at Lexington, Virginia’s Cedar Rise Farm, each member (potentially, that’s you!) buys a share of our farm’s harvest at the beginning of the growing season and then you come to the farm each week to pick up your “Share” of the farm’s harvest.
Why an Omnivore’s Delight Farm Share from Cedar Rise Farm may be right for you and your family.
- You can support local, small scale farming that focuses on organics, livestock well-being and sustainable agriculture.
- You can experience truly fresh meat and produce in a variety not found at the local supermarket.
- It’s good for your health. You know where your food is coming from and that it’s both natural and free of pesticides. And, in the case of our livestock, pasture-fed and free of antibiotics, hormones and other chemical feed additives.
- It’s good for your mental health too! Many find just visiting the farm each week to be a calming experience.
- For the environmentally conscious, it’s a great way to reduce those wasteful “food miles” your family’s food must travel (The average supermarket vegetable travels over 1500 miles before it reaches your table!)
- Farm shares foster a sense of community here in Lexington and Rockbridge County– our farm share members are also friends and neighbors. We share recipes, ideas and experiences as well as our harvest.